When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, and then began to fragment into smaller, independent countries, many said, "The Russian Bear has died."This statement of glee was premature, for now a decade and a half later, we see the Russian Bear was only wounded. She is rapidly regaining her strength and will soon be on the prowl again. Her prowl will be aggressive and punitive . . . to regain her lost empire and punish the West for meddling in her business. Over the last six months, Russia has shown she is preparing for war . . . maybe sooner than later.
- She has pressured Kyrgyzstan to close down the U.S. Air Base in Manas. This closure makes supplying our military in Afghanistan difficult.
- She has developed a "rapid-reaction strike force" for deployment into areas where Russian vital interests are threatened.
- She is planning to establish a Black Sea Naval Base in Abkhazia. Abkhazia is a providence of Georgia which Russia seized in 2008.
- She is stationing Iskander missiles in Kaliningrad. These missiles are offensive in capability and used primarily for first-strike.
- She has signed multiple treaties with Iran that include trade, monetary, and scientific assistance. This will lead to a defense treaty soon.
I could go "on and on", but my point is clear . . . Russia has become a major player in the world of nations, just as predicted by the prophet Ezekiel in Ezekiel 38.
In Ezekiel 38, God's seer saw Russia and a group of Islamic allies (led by Iran) attacking Israel. The purpose of this sneak attack will be to possess Israel's land and wealth, and to slaughter her people. According to Ezekiel, this attack will be so quick, rapid, and strong, Israel will not have a chance to survive. The allies of Israel (The West) will protest but militarily do nothing. As this "axis of evil" swoops on Israel, God will directly intervene. In a series of devastating acts, God will smash the invaders and save His nation - people. From this miraculous intervention, God will again seek to draw dying mankind and a doomed world until Himself. Sadly, as always, He will be rejected by most again.
Between now and the fulfillment of Ezekiel 38, look for Russia to become increasingly more hostile to the United States. I would not be surprised to see Russia invade other Eastern European nations that were once part of the Soviet Union, and dare us to intervene. I also predict a mutual defense treaty to be signed soon between Russia and Iran. This treaty will give Russia an "excuse" to attack Israel should Israel seek to take military action against Iran. Under President Obama, the U.S. and Western Europe will be perceived as "paper-tigers" with neither the will nor means to stop Russian aggression. Yes, President Obama will try to reason with Russia, pacify Russian, and appease Russia with diplomacy and money. But it will fail miserably. Sadly, tragically, the words of Winston Churchill will again ring true, "an appeaser is alike a man who feeds crocodiles . . . always hoping to be the last man eaten." In this case, it will be a Bear - not a crocodile.